Sunday, February 11, 2007

Second of Three

So for number two, I am finally looking at the blog I keep saying I will look at: A Blog Without a Bicycle. This blog has particular draw for me, since it's along the lines of what I am planning to do for my class project for Weblogs & Wikis which will also be my senior project for my Women's Studies Minor.

ABWaB is... vastly different from Jews sans Borders. ABWaB has a political agenda to a degree, as it is obviously a feminist oriented blog (she says so right in the sidebar). Her subject of discussion is Feminism in the blogosphere, and the blog is part of her Master of Arts thesis. It is somewhere between a blog and a notebook. Most recently she is trying hard at making daily updates, most of which have been shorter and more off hand in nature (when I say 'off hand', I don't mean that in any negative way, simply that they are shorter and more 'immediate' feeling). Older posts, however venture more into longer 'notebook' style postings (Blood's definitions).

This blog doesn't appear to be the actual project itself, but is, instead sort of a side note to her actual thesis. It makes me very interested in her thesis itself. I'm rather intrigued by her choice of subject matter, as I find the idea a bit... esoteric? As a women's studies minor, most of what I've studied have been dealing with politics and government/religious institutions. The idea that blogging has anything to do with feminism, as anything other than a soapbox on which to stand (I say that in the fondest way possible. I <3 my soapbox!) is a bit foreign to me, and I wonder if I'm somehow missed out on some huge aspect of feminism.

The blog title in and of itself is great, referring, as mentioned in class, to the saying "A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle". I happen to love that quote. Her over all tone is sort of a friendly congenial manner, much the way I think I would write if I were casually discussing my dissertation with friends. I think this tone works well for her, and makes the blog over all rather approachable, even to someone like myself who doesn't know this woman personally. The way she writes makes me think that she would be someone I would enjoy having a conversation with.

No comments: